Thursday, September 8, 2011

That's what T-shirt Quilts are made for...

Four years in the making! Finally finished my t-shirt quilt after four-years of picking it up and putting it down for months, years at a time. Between a broken sewing machine, finishing college and graduate school, traveling around the world, and everything in between my t-shirt quilt constantly got put on hold. I started in 2007 when I knew I would be moving out of my college house and moving on. I had all these t-shirts that I didn't wear but couldn't stand the thought of throwing away. T-shirts that were either given to me from friends and family or home-made screen prints from my day's in graphics class in high school, or shirts I have collected from my travels. They all have a special place in my heart and a spot in my long-term memory bank. So yesterday when I put the final tag on that said handmade by Leah Charbonneau it felt like a big moment that took too long to come. I know it isn't perfect and I know it only holds value to me but it is something I can wrap up in and be reminded of the people and places that helped shape who I am. That's what a t-shirt quilt is made for.

No comments: